The Music In Africa Foundation has the perfect opportunity for a candidate who wants to make a difference in the African music sector by using his/her acumen to research, develop and coordinate exciting projects across the continent.
MIAF is a pan-African, non-profit organisation based in Rosebank, Johannesburg, with satellite offices in East, West and Central Africa. It is one of the leading online sources of music information exchange in Africa, covering 32 countries on the continent.
The foundation seeks to appoint a Project Officer, to be based in Rosebank, Johannesburg, on a one-year renewable contract basis. The Project Officer will work closely with the Projects Manager to implement key project deliverables for a new project entitled Music In Africa Connects, a music development programme that will take place in seven African countries between 2017 and 2018. Four of the seven countries are English-speaking and three countries French-speaking.
Programme deliverables in each country include:
- Research and development (includes publishing of various music
industry related articles).
- Training workshops.
- Talent search and performance.
- Artist exchange – local, regional and international.
- Assume coordination responsibilities for assigned music programme activities related to the implementation of projects in seven African countries.
- Develop, set-up and manage an implementation plan for each country.
- Identify and communicate project resource needs.
- Facilitate appointment of relevant local implementation partners in these countries.
- Work with local partners remotely to ensure that all aspects of the project are delivered effectively.
- Assist in project finance administration.
- Effective management of project timeline.
- Copy and report writing: service provider briefs, press releases, advertisements, posters and flyers.
- Develop contracts for service providers, partners and artists.
- Facilitate engagement processes for workshop trainees, facilitators, artists and technical crew with local service providers.
- Coordinate work of other project staff.
- Perform any other duties necessary.
- A related degree or diploma and/or at least 5 years’ experience in a mid-senior position within the arts and culture sector.
- Experience working in Africa and in the music sector.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with French/English bilingualism being an added advantage.
- In-depth understanding of operational characteristics, services and activities of arts development projects.
- In-depth understanding of practices and procedures of arts management.
- Basic understanding of practices and procedures of arts and culture marketing and public relations.
- Ability to plan, develop and administer activities for arts and culture programmes.
- Highly proficient with Excel, MS Office.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Experience in managing music programmes would be an added advantage.
If you are interested send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with a cover letter stating why you are interested in and qualified for this position no later than 15 March 2017. Please include your financial expectations (range) and use ‘project officer’ as your subject line.