The Music In Africa Foundation’s website (www.musicinafrica.net) is easily the fastest growing information and exchange web portal dedicated to the African music sector, reaching thousands of people every day. With hundreds of contributors across the globe and thousands of musicians registered on the website, the publication has a reputation of providing reliable and useful information.
We seek a self-motivated Senior Editor at our head office in Johannesburg to assume responsibility of all aspects of content on the publication as well as all satellite offices, contributors, editors, content partners etc across Africa. The Senior Editor will report directly to the Executive Director. We are looking for a mature, experienced individual who possesses strong editorial skills, with managerial experience, and ability to work under pressure.
This is a fantastic long-term opportunity for someone who loves music, networking, travelling and making a positive contribution for musicians in Africa.
- Coordinating and supervising the editorial team, ensuring that deadlines are met (coverage of African countries) and that set guidelines are conformed to.
- Editing and overseeing quality control for published content (proofreading & sub-editing English content).
- Overseeing the scheduling and commissioning of original content across Africa.
- Generating and implementing content ideas
- Moderating content on the website
- Assisting in the hiring of editorial staff
- Producing content (writing)
- Organising contractual documents for commissioned content
- Setting up content partnerships
- Aiding in traffic generation and managing social campaigns (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+)
- Assisting the director with the conceptualization, co-ordination and designing programmes for the foundation
- Assisting with copy for PR and communications, eg. newsletter/mailing lists.
- Representing Music In Africa at public events (concerts & conferences)
- Performing other duties as may be required
- Relevant tertiary qualification (Diploma/Degree in Journalism, Communications etc)
- Minimum five (5) years' experience as a senior editor/writer (web and/or print)
- Familiarity with the African music sector and a good network of relevant contacts.
- Knowledge of social networks and how they are being used to drive content
- Basic knowledge of Content Management Systems, SEO, social media principles, HTML and digital content creation, etc.
- Excellent written skills in English (French an advantage)
- Flawless attention to detail
- Strong management, coordination and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to work under pressure. Must be able to work long hours, especially when deadlines are looming
NB: No chancers. Flawless editorial skills are a must. If your work would require other people to sub then this job is definitely not for you.
If you are interested send your CV and a short motivation plus up to three links or copies of 3 recent articles to email@example.com no later than 25 August 2016. Applicants who do not hear from us by 30 August 2016 may consider their applications unsuccessful.
For more information about Music In Africa visit www.musicinafrica.net