One of South Africa’s leading contemporary dance companies, Forgotten Angle Theatre Collaborative (FATC) is inviting individuals to apply for its 2017 annual Youth Artists Leadership Program.
Funded by Rand Merchant Bank (RMB) and the Department of Arts and Culture (DAC), FATC is able to award eight fully sponsored positions in this prestigious year-long program to young people (18 to 30 years old) who meet the criteria listed below:
- You must be in a leadership position within a rurally based community arts organisation anywhere in South Africa, or are in the process of establishing their own rural arts programs.
- You must have completed schooling.
- You must be actively engaged in arts and culture programs in your community.
- You must be dedicated to grow and develop your existing activities to further serve and uplift rural communities.
About the Programme
This program is based on leadership in the arts with a strong focus on empowering youth in under-resourced rural areas. Themes will touch on contextualization of leadership in the creative and cultural industries, understanding entrepreneurship and the business of the arts, compliance and governance in arts organisations.
This project will run for a year and is made up of three thematically focused modules or study schools that take place at FATC’s Ebhudlweni Arts Centre in Mpumalanga.
Programme time line
Applicants must be able to attend all weekend modules. The program will start with the first intensive weekend module from 25 – 26 March 2017 in Mpumalanga and applicants must be available to travel on the 24 and 27 March. The second module is from 29 – 30 July and travelling is on 28 and 31 July. Lastly, the third module is from 4 – 5 November and travelling is on 3 and 6 November.
How to apply
Applicants must submit their applications to PJ Sabbagha at firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 5pm on Friday 3 February 2017. All applicants must submit the following documentation via email clearly marked “Application for FATC 2017 YALP”:
- A CV with contact details.
- A description of the project you lead or are starting.
- If you are in a leadership position of an existing organisation, please include a letter from the organisation approving your application.
- A motivation letter.
- At least one reference letter.
The eight successful applicants will be notified by close of business on 28 February 2017.