Designed to give young people their first break in the creative industries, MTV Breaks is a global campaign created by MTV. Last year MTV Breaks launched as a global hunt for the most talented and creative people to come and work with them on the MTV Europe Music Awards (EMA) in Glasgow, Scotland. Since then, they invited people to join then at the ‘Isle of MTV: Malta’. Now it’s time for MTV Breaks to touch down in Africa and bring some of the biggest and most exciting breaks yet!
For the first time ever, MTV is offering you the chance to come and prove yourself at the biggest music event in Africa - the MTV Africa Music Awards (MAMA) 2015 - taking place at the Durban International Convention Centre (ICC) in South Africa on Saturday 18 July 2015. If you know you’ve got talent but just need a chance to prove it, MTV Base and MTV Breaks have just the ticket to help you achieve your career goals. They have joined forces to help African youth break into the creative industries with a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity working on the MTV Africa Music Awards KwaZulu-Natal (MAMA) 2015.
MTV wants four of the most talented young people around to come and help them make the best show in Africa even better. MTV Base is looking for four creative prodigies to work at the MAMA, specifically:
- A dancer with the moves and charisma to light up the stage: They’re looking for a dancer who’ll get to show off their moves on stage. To score this life-changing opportunity, upload a 15-second clip to Instagram showing the kind of moves they can expect to see from you in Durban. Hashtag your video with #MAMAdancer and tag @MTVBreaks.
- A videographer with the skills to work in the high pressured, live environment: They’re on the hunt for a talented camera person to work with the MTV Base production team to capture content for the ‘What Went Down’ MAMA 2015 documentary. To score this opportunity, upload a 15-second clip to Instagram that best showcases your camera skills with the hashtag #MAMAcamera and tag it @MTVBreaks.
- A photographer with a knack for capturing the perfect moment: As the MTV Breaks photographer, you’ll represent MTV Base on the red carpet, snapping the images to be used for MTV and MTV Base’s digital platforms across Africa. To prove that you’re the best person for this job, capture an awesome action shot and upload it to Instagram using the hashtag #MAMAphotographer and tag it @MTVBreaks.
- A social media journalist who knows just what MTV Base’s audience wants: They’re searching for someone to be the voice of MTV and MTV Base across their social media platforms during the MAMA 2015. To show that you’ve got what it takes, tweet a commentary to either your favourite MTV music video or MTV show. Send at least five tweets, so they can get a taste of your creative style. Hashtag every tweet #MTVBreaks and #SM.
Each winner will get the chance to attend the MAMA 2015 in Durban, be part of the MTV Base team and work alongside an experienced mentor in the relevant discipline. You might even see your work on air! MTV Base will cover all travel and accommodation costs, so make sure you’re available across the weekend of the 18 July and that you’ve read all the terms and conditions.
Tim Horwood, Channel Director of MTV Base, said: “This is the chance for keen young creatives in different disciplines to prove themselves at Africa’s biggest music event. With the help of talented newcomers with a fresh perspective, we can make the best show in Africa even better, while simultaneously offering them the opportunity to gain real-life experience and add weight and depth to their résumés.”
- be a resident of an African country,
- be between 18 and 26 years of age at the time of entry,
- hold an Instagram account,
- be available from 17–19 July 2015 to participate in the experience,
- where entrants are not resident in South Africa, they must hold a valid passport and have the right to travel to and enter South Africa for the purposes and duration of the experience,
- not be have been employed or otherwise worked as a dancer, photographer, cameraman or reporter or in a marketing or digital media role in a professional capacity, and
- not be an employee or immediate relative of an employee of MTV, Viacom or their respective subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
If you’ve got the talent, MAMA 2015 might just have the break you’ve been waiting for! Entries opened on 22 May 2015 and close at 5pm (CAT time) on 17 June 2015.
The MTV Africa Music Awards 2015 will broadcast live on MTV Base (DStv Channel 322) and MTV (DStv Channel 130) on Saturday 18 July. The show will also be transmitted worldwide on partner stations and content platforms from 18 July. For more information, go to MAMA website.