The African Muzik Magazine Awards (AFRIMMA) honored some of Africa's top talent on Saturday 10 October at the The Black Academy Of Arts and Letters in Dallas, Texas in the USA. The event attracted guests and honorees from over 17 African countries.
Diamond Platnumz from Tanzania was the biggest winner of the night, bagging the Best Male (East Africa) for the second consecutive year, as well as Video of The Year (for ‘Nana’ ft Flavour) and main prize of African Artist of the Year. This was despite losing out in June at the Kilimanjaro Tanzania Music Awards (KTMA) to local rival Ali Kiba.
Other big winners include AKA from South Africa, with Best Male (Southern Africa) and Best Collaboration for the hit ‘All Eyes on Me’. Nigerians Yemi Alade and Davido won the West Africa category for Best Female and Male respectively, while Ghanaian stars Stonebwoy and Sarkodie both picked up genre awards, for Best Dancehall and Best Rap respectively. Kenya's Sauti Sol were named Best Group. Best Dance in A Video went to Ivorian artist Serge Beynaud for ‘Okeninkpin’.
Song of the Year went to Nigerian star Wizkid’s massive hit 'Ojuelegba', a track that has helped raise the profile of African music around the world this year. In the special categories, the AFRIMMA Humanitarian Artist award went to Nigeria’s 2face Idibia, the Transformational Leadership Award to Botswana President Ian Khama, the Legendary Award to Senegalise icon Youssou N’dour, and the Crossing Boundaries With Music Award to Nigerian-American artist Jidenna.
The ceremony was hosted by comedians Kansiime and Basketmouth. The Black Academy of Arts and Letters was the grand stage with eclectic performances from Yuri Da Cunha (Angola), Carlou D (Senegal), Vee (Botswana), Yemi Alade (Nigeria) and Tanzanians Diamond Platnumz, Ommy Dimpoz and Vanessa Mdee. Other star performers on the night included Big A Entertainment star Teddy-A (Nigeria), US-based Tade Lasgiidii, South African rapper AKA and the legendary ‘Princess of Africa’ Yvonne Chaka Chaka.
The full list of AFRIMMA winners is as follows:
- Best Male (West Africa): Davido
- Best Female (West Africa): Yemi Alade
- Best Male (East Africa): Diamond Platnumz
- Best Female (East Africa): Vanessa Mdee
- Best Male (Central Africa): Yuri da Cunha
- Best Female (Central Africa): Mani Bella
- Best Male (Southern Africa): AKA
- Best Female (Southern Africa): Cleo Ice Queen
- Artist of The Year: Diamond Platnumz
- Song of The Year: ‘Ojuelegba’ - Wizkid
- Best Group: Sauti Sol
- Best Dance Group: D3 Dancers
- Best Dancehall Artist: Stonebwoy
- Best Gospel Artist: Icha Chavons
- Best Rap Act: Sarkodie
- Best Traditional Act: Flavour
- Music Producer of The Year: Legendury Beatz
- Best Newcomer: Ommy Dimpoz
- AFRIMMA Video of The Year: ‘Nana’ by Diamond Platnumz ft Flavour
- Best Video Director: Godfather
- Best African DJ (USA): DJ Simple Simon
- Best African DJ: Jimmy Jatt
- Best Collaboration: ‘All Eyes On Me’ - AKA ft Burnaboy, DaL.E.S and JR
- AFRIMMA Inspirational Song: ‘Alive’ - Bracket ft Diamond Platnumz
- Best Dance in A Video: Serge Beynaud – ‘Okeninkpin’
- AFRIMMA Humanitarian Artist: 2face Idibia
- Transformational Leadership Award: Botswana President, Lieutenant General Seretse Khama Ian Khama
- Legendary Award: Youssou N’dour
- Crossing Boundaries With Music Award: Jidenna