Zimbabwean artist Killer T emerged victorious at the 2016 Zim-Dancehall Awards held on Thursday 3 March at Long Chen Plaza in Harare. He took home four awards from his seven nominations: Best Album (for Ngoma Ndaimba), Best Male Artist, Best Collaboration (for ‘Vanondibatirana’ with Fungisai) and shared Best Social Message (for ‘Chikorobo’).
His rival Winky D picked up two awards: Song of the Year (for ‘Disappear’) and Best Live Performer. Both artists’ managers, Brian Murukutira (aka DJ Bima) and Jonathan Banda, earned Honourary Awards for Excellence in Management.
Killer T’s triumph at the awards would have provided some consolation after the artist was overlooked in other awards ceremonies in recent weeks.
The Zim-Dancehall Awards, which honour the top performers for 2015 in Zimbabwe’s thriving Zim-Dancehall scene, come a few weeks after the National Arts Merit Awards (NAMAs) on 13 February, where Killer T was snubbed in favour of Winky D and Jah Prayzah, who won two awards each, and just days after the Zimbabwe Music Awards (ZIMA) on 25 February, where Winky D and Killer T won one award apiece compared to four for Jah Prayzah.
Revenge was sweet for Killer T, who not long after the ceremony took to Facebook to celebrate, dedicating the win to his fans and announcing in Shona: “I have won because you voted for me. I will keep thanking you, even though they stole our votes. We will move forward with your support.”
In the other categories, Mambokadzi (aka Da Ruler) was named Best Female Artist. Seh Calaz picked up two trophies from his six nominations, Best Conscious Song (‘Amai’) and sharing Best Social Message with Killer T (for ‘Musamurove’). Soul Jah Love took home one award out of his six nominations: Best Club Hit Song (for ‘Magesti’). The Best Music Video award went to ‘Zvakumberi’ by King Labash.
The full list of winners for 2016 Zim-Dancehall is as follows:
- Best Male Artist: Killer T
- Best Female Artist: Mambokadzi HKD
- Best Vocalist: Celcius
- Producer of the Year: Oskid
- Best Album: Ngoma Ndaimba - Killer T
- Song of the Year: ‘Disappear’ - Winky D
- Best Collaboration: ‘Vanondibatirana’ - Killer T and Fungisai
- Best Live Performer: Winky D
- Best ZimDancehall Ambassador: Genius
- Best Conscious Rythmn: ‘Silent Killer’ - T-man
- Best Dancehall Dance Group: Conquering Family
- Most Promising Artist: Hwindi President
- Most Improved Artist: Ras Caleb
- Best Music Video: ‘Zvakumberi’ – King Labash
- Best Club Hit Song: ‘Magesti’ - Soul Jah Love
- Best Social Message: Seh Calaz (‘Musamurove’) and Killer T (‘Chikorobo’)
- Best Conscious Song: ‘Amai’ - Seh Calaz
- Riddim of the Year: ‘Zim Talent Riddim’ - Sam Chris
- Zim-Dancehall Ambassador: Freeman HKD
- Honourary Award: Templeman
- Honourary Award - Excellence in Management: DJ Bima and Winky D's Banda
- Honorary Award - Promotion and Mentorship: Red Fox Family and Kenako Media
- Honorary Award - Graphics and Excellence: School of Thought
- Honorary Award - Diaspora Promotion Marketing: Y2K
- Honorary Award - Print Media: H Metro