“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world” - Nelson Mandela
“Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today” - Malcolm X
Education is the key to development anywhere in the world. It’s also central to Music In Africa’s quest to empower and connect artists and operators in the African music sector. In short, the importance of the subject cannot be underestimated. For this reason, Education is our theme for March.
All the content on Music In Africa is educational to a certain extent, but of particular relevance to this theme are our overview texts on the subject, as well as our new video tutorials and various resources. We have commissioned and published overview texts on the state of Music Education in numerous African countries, including Ghana, Cameroon, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, DR Congo, Nigeria, Uganda, Rwanda and Mali. Those interested in the subject will find it useful to compare the various situations, to see what common challenges we face, what examples we can follow, and where we are unique.
In today’s day and age, technology offers a wealth of new opportunities for education, and the classroom setting is increasingly becoming a virtual rather than physical space. Through Youtube, for example, music students in remote areas might still have access to the best teachers in the world. With this in mind, Music In Africa is working on building its dedicated Education section to include more multimedia content, aimed specifically at music students and teachers.
- Music Education in Ghana - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-ghana
- Music education in Cameroon - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-cameroon
- Music education in South Africa - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-south-africa
- Music education in Zimbabwe - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-zimbabwe
- Music education in Kenya - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-kenya
- Arts education in D.R. Congo - http://www.musicinafrica.net/arts-education-d-r-congo-looking-back-and-thinking-ahead
- Music Education in Nigeria - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-nigeria
- Music education in Uganda - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-uganda
- Music education in Rwanda - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-rwanda
- Music education in Mali - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-mali
- Melodic Reading & Writing - http://www.musicinafrica.net/melodic-reading-writing?section-context=tutorials
- Rhythmic Reading & Writing - http://www.musicinafrica.net/rhythmic-reading-writing?section-context=tutorials
- Chisamba Rhythm - http://www.musicinafrica.net/chisamba-rhythm?section-context=tutorials
- Harmony – The Major 13th Chord - http://www.musicinafrica.net/harmony-%E2%80%93-major-13th-chord?section-context=tutorials
- The relevance of music education to the Ethiopian educational system - http://www.musicinafrica.net/relevance-music-education-ethiopian-educational-system
- Music education policy development and advocacy in East Africa - http://www.musicinafrica.net/music-education-policy-development-and-advocacy-east-africa
- Understanding music production - http://www.musicinafrica.net/understanding-music-production?section-context=tutorials
- Learn to play an instrument to better your music production - http://www.musicinafrica.net/learn-play-instrument-better-your-music-production-0?section-context=how-to-%E2%80%93-tech