As stipulated in our constitution, the current Music In Africa Foundation (MIAF) Management Board is required to step down at the coming AGM on 10 November 2016, but will be eligible for re-election. We are therefore seeking nominations for the Management Board.
Function of the Board
The Board represents the interests of the membership. Its role includes, but is not limited to: devising, approving and amending policies of the Foundation; putting into effect the policy and strategic decisions of the Annual General Meeting; and playing an advisory role in policy implementation, strategic planning, budgeting and programming. The Board meets quarterly by teleconference or frequently as required. It meets in person at least once a year.
Elected members of the Board shall serve for a period of two (2) years and step down at the Annual General Meeting taking place in the second year of their membership, but shall be eligible for re-election, provided that no member of the Board serves for longer than six (6) years.
Six (6) seats are open on the Board, including three office bearer positions (Chairperson, Deputy Chairperson and Treasurer). The new Board will decide whether to maintain the existing three additional portfolios (Music Education and Archives, Membership Strategies and International Partnership & Donors Management) or to create new ones.
- Experience working with/in NPO organisations
- Experience or strong understanding of how the music industry works
- Policymaking experience
- Experience or strong understanding of new media, journalism & ICT
- Experience or strong understanding of music education
- Ability to learn and gain a strong understanding of the vision and objectives of the Foundation
- Strategic operational planning experience
- Fundraising experience
- Ability to represent the organisation well in your respective region
- Financial /treasury experience
The Board shall reflect a regional balance in its composition and aim to have a variety of expertise related to the music sector. Where for any reason the elected members of the Board do not reflect a regional balance and/or a variety of music-sector expertise, the Board shall use its co-option powers to co-opt eligible persons capable of achieving this balance and variety.
To be eligible, you should:
- be a full MIAF member in good standing (paid current member)
- be able to attend meetings of the Board, including conference calls
- be able to attend or connect with one in-person Board meeting per year
- not be an employee of the Foundation
Members shall be elected by a plurality of the votes received from the voting members.
Office bearers shall be elected by the Board at their first meeting after being elected by the Annual General Meeting.
You can nominate a member (or yourself). Please send your completed nomination form to
email@example.com (and CC: firstname.lastname@example.org). Please keep in mind that some of the information you provide will be presented to other members.
Nominations shall be received no later than 21 October 2016.
All members will receive a list of the nominated candidates on 28 October 2016.
Should you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.
CURRENT BOARD MEMBERS
- Chairperson Dr. Ribio Nzeza Bunketi Buse (DRC)
- Deputy Chairperson Ms. Aisha Deme (Senegal)
- Treasurer Ms. Belisa Rodrigues (South Africa)
- Membership Strategies Mr. Bill Odidi (Kenya)
- Music Education & Performance Mr. Seta Ramaroson (Madagascar)
- Board Member with no portfolio Mr. André le Roux (South Africa)
- International Partner management Mrs. Noemie Njangiru (Cote d’Ivoire)
- International Partner management Mr. Jens Cording (Germany)