World-renowned South African guitar virtuoso Guy Buttery is launching his long-awaited new album with a tour that sees him performing across the country, collaborating with various guest artists at each concert.
In support of his sixth studio album, simply entitled Guy Buttery, he returns with a brand new approach to South African musical landscapes - seamlessly merging traditional musical genres with ambient and groove-driven psychedelia.
Guy has long been revered as one of the country’s most talented fingerstyle guitarists. His fans will be delighted by the wide range of venues across Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and the Western Cape, with several more still to be confirmed. Guy will be inviting numerous featured guests from the album to join him in concert and will also perform for the first time with a full band.
The new self-titled album is almost two years in the making and sees him collaborating with some of the country’s finest musicians, including Vusi Mahlasela (who recently performed in the USA), Dan Patlansky, Nibs Van Der Spuy, Shane Cooper, Derek Gripper and Chris Letcher – as well as French-based singer Piers Faccini, and one of Guy’s lifelong musical heroes, Will Ackerman, the Grammy-winning founder of Windham Hill Records.
Revealing the album on his Facebook page recently, Guy wrote: "It’s a funny thing making music. The whole process is generally pretty insular, introspective and personal but the real ‘art’ happens when people engage with it. This is what music is about really. Exchange. Peoples own individual experiences, stories and interpretations. Well that’s what it’s always been for me. Perhaps some of these tunes will open up their own internal dialogue for such a conversation."
The tour kicked off with gigs in Johannesburg and Pretoria on 1-3 April. Catch Guy Buttery performing live later this month at the following dates:
- Friday 1 April: Openroom Studios, Johannesburg (with Gareth Gale)
- Saturday 2 April: Exclusive House Concert, Johannesburg (with Gareth Gale)
- Sunday 3 April: Park Acoustics, Pretoria (with Gareth Gale)
- Friday 15 April: Pont de Val Riverside Escape, Parys District, Vaal River (with Nibs van der Spuy)
- Saturday 16 April: Die Ou Pastorie, Skeerpoort, North West Province (with Nibs van der Spuy)
- Sunday 17 April: House Concert, Waterkloof Heights, Pretoria (with Nibs van der Spuy)
- Thursday 21 April: The Plant, Durban (with full band)
- Thursday 28 April: Central Methodist Mission Church, Cape Town (with Derek Gripper & Shane Cooper)
- Friday 29 April: The Reeler Theatre, Rondebosch Boys’ High, Cape Town (with Derek Gripper & Shane Cooper)
- Saturday 30 April: Blue Bird Garage. Muizenberg, Cape Town (with band)
More shows are expected to be added soon.
Guy Buttery is available on iTunes, Amazon, Deezer and numerous other outlets. To stream or buy the album, visit Buttery's Bandcamp page.